@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}

all our sorrows... would become our only visions...

I, like many others, wasn't sure how I felt about Dasha Zhukova taking over the reigns at POP after Katie Grand's defection to Conde Nast. While the interviews I had read with her concerning The Garage Centre for Contemporary Culture she founded in Moscow have shown her to be quite knowledgeable about art, I wasn't really sure that launching a line of latex leggings and t-shirts with daddy's money was really a qualification for editing a fashion magazine. I've yet to see the new issue, her first since taking over the editorship, but I do like several of the images in the editorials I've seen. The first is this dreamy psychedelic-tinged shoot by Mark Borthwick, "The Channels." The clothes hold little interest to me, but I adore the de-saturated photos full of flares and flashes. These wonderfully evocative images bring to life this sojourn to a mystical, rural idyll where longhaired hippie girls run free and wild in a daze of streaking rainbows.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The second editorial I've been admiring is Tim Gutt's "The Aspen Players," a subversion of the classic masculin et femenin piece. The refractions and glassy textures create a dream-like world in this editorial as well, but one less hypnagogic and with a more surrealistic tone. Full of theatre-esque drapes, mini chairs and dancing matadors these photos will put a smile on your face- and a desire for a gold-sequined dress in your mind. I can't say much more about how Dasha is doing in her new role until I see the magazine in person, but so far I like where she is letting her photographers and stylists go creatively- each shoot has been completely different and original, which I think shows her own good judgment.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Labels: , ,