@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}

Photo of the Day: Alla Nazimova

Photobucket
Arthur Rice, Alla Nazimova as Camille, 1921.


My heart skipped a beat when I found this photo in Lost Hollywood while doing research at the Costume Institute Library today. Camille, based on Alexandre Dumas, fils' La Dame aux Camélias, is a classic of silent film. It contains all of the key ingredients- a handsome hero (actually, the handsomest- Rudolph Valentino), a beautiful heroine and a tragic romance. It seems that the whole movie can now be watched on YouTube, a nice change from watching it in an over-packed classroom so I would definitely recommend spending an hour with this deco gem. While I've seen photos from this same set before, I had not seen this one which exquisitely shows Nazimova's brittle beauty to such effect.

Photo from: Woody, Jack. Lost Hollywood. Santa Fe, NM: Twin Palms Publishers.

Labels: , , ,