@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}

Come On, Dreamers

Ever since I saw Miss Peelpant's post the other day of a dreamy David Hamilton editorial from a 1972 Vogue UK, I've been in rather a dreamy and nostalgic mood myself. The weather has been beautiful here but I've been holed up in my bedroom doing schoolwork all weekend so I never had the opportunity to dress up in gobs of lace, ruffles and pastels so instead I went through my old magazines and found another editorial that captures this romantically evocative mood.

Photobucket
Turbulent striped dress by Annacat with Villager tights, Quorum hat, side-buttoned Anello & Davide shoes.
Gone with the wind are the days of great plantations in the Deep South, when men were gallant and women were ladies. And yet this romantic era seems to linger on... in books and films and dreams. Haven't you ever dreamt you lived in another age? Of course, you would have been the heroine- gracefully attired in a silked gown and a shady hat trimmed in camellias. Rejoicing in lace ruffles, ringlets, laced-up bodices, sweetheart lockets, rustling petticoats, velvet bows, and swirlshooshing skirts. Perchance you would have set a Confederate soldier's heart on fire and even inspired a duel or two... until the telephone rang.
Come on dreamers, this nostalgic garb is for real. Wake up and wear it to a summer's ball with your beloved or to a party with a pal... the wind is blowing back.  
Photobucket
Lenbury orange blossom dress with U.S. Madcaps hat adorned with long scarf by Ascher, Mary Quant orange tights and blue suede shoes by Anello & Davide.

Photobucket
Winsome white dress with lace sleeves by Gerald McCann with Petticoat special offer pearls.

Photobucket
Southern Magnolia pink dress by Lenbury with pink scarf by Ascher as a cummbund, white tights by Mary Quant, and Anello & Davide bar shoes with Quorum hat.

Photobucket
Ruffled dress by Annacat with matching shoes and Quorum hat decorated with camellias from US Woolworths.

Photobucket
Blithe green dress with double sleeves by Lenbury with Villager cream tights, Ronald Keith scallop-edge shoes. Serene white dress by Gerald McCann with velvet olive green waistband, U.S. Madcaps hat, laced-up boots by Anello & Davide.

Photobucket

All of these photos are from the June 22nd, 1968 Petticoat and were taken by Michael Berkofsky. The stately elegance of the antebellum mansion suits these clothes to a tee, and I was actually quite surprised when I researched the location- I've spent quite a lot of time in the South, as my mother is from Georgia, and these photos look like many homes down there. Remarkably these photos were actually taken in Manhattan at the Morris-Jumel House. Though I live in New York I had never heard of this mansion, which is the oldest house on Manhattan. It is open for visitors so I think I will have to make the trek up to Washington Heights to visit it and see this gorgeous bedroom:

Photobucket

If I go I promise to dress up just like this editorial, a total Southern belle. I might even wear my favourite Annacat dress, below, which is made out of almost the same pattern as the fifth photo down except in a cinnamon and cream colourway,  and is trimmed with the same white ruffles. Don't you think it would look smashing on that porch?

Photobucket




Labels: , , , , , ,