@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}

Photo of the Day: Gary Winogrand & Ossie Clark

Photobucket
Garry Winogrand, Woman and Man Dancing, Hands at Same Position.

As I've long been a fan of Garry Winogrand's classic American street photographs (Winogrand: Figments From The Real World is one of my favourite photo books), I was excited when I came across this undated photo of a woman wearing a rather iconic Ossie Clark dress. This dress was photographed by Norman Parkinson for a 1969 editorial in British Vogue, and this photo is also included in The Ossie Clark Diaries: In Doze Days. One of his most flattering designs, this wrap dress was made in many different fabrics (I have it in cream brocaded silk) but the very graphic zigzag pattern seen here, by Celia Birtwell, enlivens it, taking it from pretty to pop.

Photobucket

Last year this same dress turned up on eBay, but it sadly sold for far more than I could ever afford. Hopefully someday I will find it again to add to my collection.

Photobucket

Labels: , , , , ,