@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}

Fur Around Now

Photobucket

"Fur Around Now" by Helmut Newton for Vogue UK, September 1966.

New York has heated up to a positively balmy 28°F, but this increased warmth has come with yet more snow. While this is making for scenes of a winter wonderland outside my office's windows, the damp cold air is incredibly resistant to the effects of the heaters so I am snuggled up, at my desk, in my mink coat. Though I love my mink more than just about anything (it was my step-grandmother's and was my grandfather's last gift to me), I wouldn't mind one of the furs in this editorial- plush and luscious, they are luxurious yet are styled with simple flat mary-janes and combat style boots. The dark eyes and 1920s style cloches are nods to the Deco-mania of the era- the term 'Art Deco' had only that year been coined with the famous retrospective, Les Années '25', of the Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes, at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris. The retrospective picked up on a just emerging mood in culture that shied away from the modern to one of nostalgia; a change that magazines also started to illustrate. While the other editorials in this issue as still plugging the modernist styles of the mini and the sleek sheath, this photo spread shows the creeping in of older styles.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Labels: , , , , ,